Published on August 11, 2016
Now that you have Marketplace health insurance, you have more ways to take charge of your health.
Your Marketplace plan covers a long list of free preventive services for women — including mammograms, yearly well-woman doctor visits, and other screening tests. All plans also cover other health care for women, like pregnancy and childbirth.
Free preventive health care for women
- With your Marketplace coverage, you have access to several preventive services — like annual well-woman visits and genetic testing for breast cancer, if you’re at risk. These services are free when you go to a provider in the plan’s network, even before you’ve met your .
- See a full list of free preventive benefits for women that your Marketplace plan covers.
- Marketplace plans must cover FDA-approved contraceptive methods — including birth control pills — as prescribed by a health care provider.
- Find out more about birth control benefits in the Marketplace.
Pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding
- Both maternity care and childbirth are covered by all Marketplace plans — even if you’re pregnant before your health coverage starts.
- Most Marketplace plans provide breastfeeding equipment and counseling for pregnant and nursing women. Your health insurance plan will cover the cost of a breast pump — either a rental or one you’ll keep, depending on your plan’s rules and provider recommendations.
- Get more information on pregnancy and breastfeeding health care for women.
More information on health insurance for women
Learn more about the advantages of having health insurance and all free preventive health services available to women with Marketplace insurance.